NuVu Studio II - Documentaries




Last Monday, I started a new studio (aka a class) at NUVU called the art of documentary filmmaking. The goal of this studio is to make a short documentary about accessibility in the next three weeks. All of last week we talked about the technical aspects, getting used to the cameras and trying to figure out the best angles. Specifically, we learned about:
  • “Rule of Thirds” (which is when you place your main object in the crosshairs of the camera
located every third of the image)

  • The depth of field (the object that is not in focus, is more or less in focus depending on what the depth is)

  • The composition (what is in the frame, is just as important as what is out of the frame)

  • Different kinds of light (natural, artificial, etc.)

We watched a few short documentaries and talked about what made them good, for example, the camera angles, the lighting, depth, etc.

I think I want to make a documentary about disabled people in wheelchairs, or the similar experiences of having a baby in a stroller. I would like to talk to a person who has to be in a wheelchair and interview them about how difficult it is to get into stores, and just around whenever they want. I could also interview a person who decided where to put wheelchair ramps.

These photos are ones that I took.  I was experimenting with different types of light, depths of field, and composition.  What do you notice, like, or recommend?


Comments

  1. The first and last look "light-struck" to me and a little like a mistake. The others to me are wonderful. I love the perspective of the so-familiar top step. The apple core is sensational. Fore- and back-ground of your vine and the faucet are perfect.

    Your writing is clear and interesting.

    Your documentary will be very valuable and real. Wheels. Just to comment. "My" park has a problem with "acessibility" - carriages and wheelchairs must stop at the top of the steps where we have a landing from which those who cannot use steps can view the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing the Chateaus of France.

Day #1 in London

Solar Powered