Water, Land & Air Animals in St. John

photo from Ginny Westrick of a baby donkey




While I was in St. John, I saw a few really cool animals. Here are some pictures of what some of them are.

First, there were lots of amazing and awesome land animals. For example, I saw mongoose, deer, donkey,  anole (native lizard), land hermit crab (giant),chickens and roosters

Lots of things were strange on the island of St. John, like chickens, roosters and donkeys roam the island.
photo from Greg Nadeau of some donkeys by the doorstep at night
photo from Ginny Westrick of a real mongoose -- I was feeding it Ginny's peanut butter sandwich


Next there were lots of really cool animals that live in the water. While snorkeling I saw some trumpet fish, many schools of fish, a big green sea turtle, a ray, a baby pufferfish, a dead lionfish and a few barracuda. One time when I was snorkeling with my mom, we saw a humongus barracuda. All my mom wanted to do after that was to get back to the shore and read her book.

photo from Ginny Westrick of a trumpet fish



photo from Michael Lewis of a lamprey on a sea turtle



photo from Ginny Westrick of a green sea turtle
photo from Michael Lewis of a spotted trunk fish
photo from Michael Lewis of a  reef squid.(up close).
Last, we saw a few flying fellows.  Three of my favorites are the banana quit, pelican, and American kestrel (in that order).
photo from Ginny Westrick of a pelican with a fish in its mouth


In the end, we had an amazing time seeing all of these awesome flying, swimming and walking animals.

Ginny lived down the street from Sally (whose house we were staying at) and takes a lot of amazing pictures.  Michael stayed at Sally's house also and has an underwater camera (so does Ginny). Thanks to both of you for the photos!




Comments

  1. Charlie this is a great blog... informative, colorful, and giving thanks and credit to photographers. Plus you show a great enthusiasm that comes through with your writing! Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie: Thanks for the photo credits. I really enjoyed this blog. Hope you ave readjusted to winter.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos and write up Charlie! I'm always super excited to read about your adventures! Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie:
    I am really enjoying your blog! I love that you learned how to credit photos and loved learning about them. I've never been to the virgin islands and I've never been snorkeling - we'll have to put this on our to do list. I hope you will inspire your buddy E with your blog to make entries on his own. Nice job - looking forward to the next entry.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie,
    I love to read your blog! I was in St. Croix over February break and didn't see nearly as many animals and fish. There was a "Bear X-ing" sign, but I think it was a joke. I'm glad you had such a great time!
    Catherine Tighe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing the Chateaus of France.

Day #1 in London

Solar Powered